Academy Creations

I’ve added a table with all the team quick codes tot he Shares thread.

Change of State

Coolamon Rovers Home

Wagga Tigers Home

Leeton-Whitton Home

Leeton-Whitton Away Shorts

Every time I login to this thread or even facebook now I see your creations pop up mate. I hope BigAnt can find a way to include you in the game or the next one - be the fella doing the coin toss or something. How long on average does it take you to create one of these teams? I’d imagine you’d need to create players to fill the squads etc. too wouldn’t you?

Thanks mate.
The time it takes depends on a bunch of things.
Firstly how it fits around work and family life. Then it comes down to how easy it is to find the information. I am forever scouring social media looking for photos for games to see how the guernseys are worn - which sponsors go where etc.

Artwork
Then it comes down to how detailed or obscure the artwork is. For some team logos, I can reuse common elements like mascots which are common. For some i have to reinvent the wheel.
I also need to make sure I don’t go over the magical 400 nodes. This means I sometimes have to prioritise certain parts of a logo or just leave some bits out. The limit on logos (8 for guernseys, 4 for shorts and 2 for socks) also plays a roll in things.
Some guernseys in themselves may have patterns or the Cohuna fade which require additional artwork to make believable.
By now I’ve qlso managed to collect a bunch of elements which I can reuse as they are common to various teams like kit suppliers (ISC, Puma, Belgravia, SportsCentre, Sherwood LoCo etc).
Certain leagues also have common branding so all teams in a league have the same sponsor or short stripe layout. Most teams in the Victorian Country Leagues wear the same format of shorts, either the one with the 3 stripes or the swirly pattern. In my travels I have collected a bunch of footy shorts. The dimensions of the stripes are pretty right because I measured them.
Finding fonts for artwork can take a while too, as I like to try and get things close to the original.

Making custom players
As for creating players, I’ve had to give that up as I reached the 1000 player limit ages ago. I have had to fill my teams with players from the leagues that I could make players for which is a bunch of rural SA leagues. I have put their skills somewhere between 20 and 40 as I feel it is a true indication of where they would fit. You would think that if a local footy club plays an AFL team they would get smashed or a SANFL or VFL team would smash them too.
I spent a heap of time making the Tasmanian State League as accurately as I could with player likenesses etc, but generally, the information is thin on the ground and the in-game player creation tools are really clunky.
I feel like most punters are just happy to have their team run around in their guernsey and if they want to create their own players, they can give it a go. Creating over 250 players for each league is beyond me as things stand.
If AFL23 had a randomise feature then I could put the names in and you’d get a range of players. But at the moment, you need to spend a heap of time making the players look just a little bit different.
I’d really love a wizard where I can punch in player names, position, hair colour, skin colour and give the team’s skills range and let it work it out for me. I’m sure there’d be a macro in Excel that would do it, if only I could then import that spreadsheet in.
Something where you say your team is 45-25 and the guy is a ruckman and it works out which skills a ruckman would have and which ones not so much.
Even a bulk player creator would save a bunch of time. Back when I was creating my own players, it would take me about 3-4 hours to make 25 players. That didn’t include the time I spent looking for player names, likenesses and positions.

Stadiums
I really wish I could make more custom stadiums, but the range of custom objects is really limiting. I know there is a purpose to it - maintaining gameplays fps, but just some screening backgrounds (trees, houses, buildings) would offer more realism. Most country grounds aren’t surrounded by grandstands. They are surrounded by cars and gravel rings or embankments. I’d love to see the ability to add a custom background ring as a png file just as you can add custom adboards (though I’d like more than 4 of those too)

So all in all, it depends, At the moment I feel like I’m getting a league done every couple of weeks, fitting it in around work and family and not making custom players or stadia.

1 Like

Ganmain-Grong-Grong-Matong Home

GGGM Away Shorts

Turvey Park Home

Turvey Park Away

Narrandera Home

Narrandera Away Shorts

Collingullie Home

Griffith Swans Home

Mangoplah Cookardinia United Eastlakes (MCUE) Away

MCUE Home Shorts