Did Anyone Else Prefer The Game Without The New Running Forehand Animation?

After update 7 came out, I played the game with my brother as we are both pretty big tennis fans. Almost straight away we both noticed a change to rallies that just didnt seem right and visually looked out of place. It was the new running forehand that they had added to the game.

The problem with this new mechanic is number one it just doesnt look correct at all and almost looks cartoonish in action. The players launch themselves from a fair distance away from the ball, the player then gets auto pulled to the balls location and when this happens after a change of direction removes all of the inertia from the player movement and makes the game look like an arcade game.

For anyone thats done a slow mo replay of this shot in action. The players fly through the air while leaning over to the point of almost falling over and are some how able to transfer their body weight in mid air from essentially lying down to an upright position and hit the ball almost defying the laws of physics.

I genuinely preferred the game without the shot. Yes there were more lunges, but just like in real tennis these happeneded less and less as you got better at the game and you got better at positioning etc. Having lunges also meant that like in real tennis, if you were better then your oppononent in a rally and your good play forced them to perform a lunge it would rightly give you an opportunity to punish them and gain the advantage. Now we have a situation where both players regardless of skill are able to perform non stop running forehands in rallies back to one another in cross court battles etc. which not only looks unrealistic, but makes gameplay look extremely generic from an animation point of view.

I personally think that they should remove the shot, even just temporarily and re-work it to be a proper running forehand where the players dont just auto zoom to the balls without inertia and fly through the air but simply hit the ball while on the run while staying feet planted on the ground but there must be an inertia penalty applied once the ball has been hit. If this cant be done, then i would just remove the shot entirely.

Alternatively or additionally many peoples complaints about lunges were the fact that the majority of them were defensive in nature and would spoon the ball up high in the air. A simple positive change would have been to adjust some of these shots and incorporate an attacking lunge where the balls would go over the net without so much hight applied to them which would keep the speed of gameplay and rallies more consistent instead of needing to wait multiple seconds for the balls to drop from a great height everytime a lunge is performed.

By auto zooming/teleporting to every ball that is out of reach on the forehand side it looks very wonky in action. It also seems to be at odds with the games initial design philosophy which was to give the player much more manual and nuanced control over gameplay in a similar vein to Tennis Elbow or Full Ace and to remove or limit the feeling that gameplay was being affected by too much computer assistance.

3 Likes

With all due respect your post is so incoherent, you’re complaining about players teleporting to the ball but thats exactly why they added those running forehand, those shots were simply lunges over and over again before and the teleporting was way worse before. And also u say that it doesnt look good but if u actually watch real tennis they do it every other shot. So you want realistic move but u prefer the lunge party like it was before EA 7…

1 Like

Ive watched tennis for 20 years. They absolutely do not perform this shot every other shot. At least not in the way that its currently animated. I cant post links here but just do a YouTube search for maxedracer, video title running forehand animation. Surely you dont think that it looks right?

And no i dont want a lunge party but most of that is down to players not being able to get into position quickly enough which from my experience is more of a skill issue. I used to have 1 hour long matches with the CPU on expert in EA5 back when it was actually hard and i very rarely lunged.

I am not saying that they absolutely should go back to the lunges as before but the current solution is not good enough compared to the rest of the game.

I agree with you and the new running forehand animation that all players sometimes use is actually djokovics forehand animation in the game i noticed this after a few games

1 Like

I didnt realize you could see djokovics animations. Are they viewable in game somewhere?

we can see djokovic and federer animations at creating player , you can see all animations strokes.

I am agree with you @jez_0 this news shots is very very ugly and it takes away all realistic movement control

the early access 6 is better

1 Like

I also agree. The running forehand animation needs some work. I have two issues with it, the animation doesn’t look right and the automatic pull towards the ball is too strong. I’d prefer to have as little computer assistance as possible.

1 Like

Ah. weirdly i only seem to have Djokovic return style but am not able to see his forehand style.

1 Like

His groundstroke style is called joker in game

Ah, found it. Thank you.

1 Like