Issues With Scramble

I know that this has been a topic of discussion from past updates but wanted to bring it into the light again as it just seems that some of the games fundamental issues are related to the scramble mechanic in some way.

I think it would be much better for gameplay if the scramble was limited to only forward movement, something like a net approach mechanic and getting to drop shots etc. but should not apply to left and right movement as it does now.

You can currently use it for an entire match without basically any real penalty, you can hit all of your prep shots while holding both triggers down making the standard way of hitting prep shots while holding down a trigger individually completely pointless.

While both triggers are held down all inertia is basically taken away from the players, extremely noticeable when changing direction and makes the game look unrealistic.

You can hold down both triggers and scramble+flat shot for all service returns allowing you to hit bullet like returns painting the lines no matter what kind of serve comes your way.

It’s creating issues for the devs and appears to be one of the main issues for why they are finding it so difficult to balance difficulty for all players. Some players will be using the scramble all of the time finding the CPU on expert very easy and some players for whatever reason may not be using it all of the time and will find the CPU challenging. Some people may not realise that the mechanic can be abused to the point of being able to use it literally all of the time.

With all of the work that has gone into the game so far in terms of animations, inertia and trying to achieve a level of realism close to that of the real thing, it seems that the game wasn’t built around the scramble mechanic being used all of the time as it literally changes the way the game looks and plays. I am not sure why the devs haven’t modified its functionality to stop it being abused.

Does anyone remember when the scramble mechanic was actually introduced and what was said about it at the time in terms of its intended use? I note that back in January they posted an update regarding the shot preparation tiggers and specifically noted that they allowed you to get into position faster by prepping and moving in a particular direction. Was the scramble introduced at a later time as a direct result of player feedback feeling that the running speed while using the shot prep triggers was too slow?

1 Like

I agree, after playing the game extensively i believe the scramble mechanic for movement laterally sideways across the court is causing issues. It’s overpowered, It ruins the feeling of inertia and it causes more automatic unrealistic movement towards the ball. I think as you mentioned only being able to use the scramble mechanic when moving forwards towards the net would greatly improve the realism of the game. I feel using individual triggers to move across the court is sufficient.

I think the scramble is ok imo