Launch (EA1) Feedback

Hello guys

Some ideas for :

• Scrum : Why not use each analogic sticks, left for left prop, right for right prop, and you have to push it straight at the same time with a power bar (colored from orange to yellow to green to red). Each push, you have to finish in the green zone of the bar to have a good scrum and maybe have the opposition props collapse under pressure. If you dont push with enough strength (finish in the orange-yellow) you could be dominated by the opposition pack and collapse. You could be penalised if you push sticks too early before referee shout, if of you finish your push in the red area, and if you dont push straight (turn the scrum).
  • Lineouts : why if it was just choosing a combination among 4-5 in a playbook, and you just have to throw straight by pushing analogic stick straight to your jumper? in defence you only have to guess the good area where to jump and trigger the jumping with the good timing.
  • Ruck : Why not use sticks too ? You push once to have a bind and you power it with a bar (same than in my scrum idea). You push as much as you want to bind as many players you want. You have to push straight other wise the binding player comes by the side of the ruck and is penalised. If your push is too strong (end in the red area of the bar) your player binding gets off his feet and is penalised.
2 Likes

Especially like this suggestion. Only thing is speed and getting those ruck speeds realistic/quick enough.

1 Like

Thank you. :wink:
I feel like a good rugby game need those ideas that really try to recreate the mechanisms of the gameā€¦

We had something like this in rugby 15 and it was the worst rugby game ever, it just didnā€™t work with flow I think rugby challange/rugby22 controls will work very well

Yes actually this is what they did on Rugby 22 ans it was good imho, i think the same mechanics with a bit more penalties variables (coming on the sidenfor example) would be just fine !

Around the scrum:
iā€™m not found of the mini games, but thatā€™s your call. I think stats based and just one hooking mini game could determine who gets the ball and takes advantage in pushing (not trying to hook in defense giving advantage in pushing, so no winning the ball nor taking a penalty for bad timing and players losing bind). Good timing takes advantage in pushing.
Ball on offense: before the ball is ready for the scrum half, we need to see a large view of the field , so we can choose wether to play with the back line:
classic play, and set plays please.
But iā€™d also love to be able to pick up the ball with number 8, or 9, have a set play like 8 9 15, 9 8 6ā€¦

On defense: same thing, need a larger view at the end of the scrum to choose the right player to use to defend. And thatā€™s where iā€™d love to see a major improvment from previous games rugby iā€™ve played. I used to play flanker, and loved chasing number 10s of course. So it would be important to be able to choose on defensive scrums the player iā€™ll control when the ball leaves. As a flanker, iā€™d run to the 10 perpendicular from the scrum, so if 10 attacks the line ball in hand i can help my 10ā€™s inside shoulder. If number 10 passes the ball to the centers, my centers tackle, iā€™m first there to steal the ball. If number 10 is tired of me and plays inside to a crossing winger, i slow my pace to tackle the player coming between the scrum and number 10. If number 10 is tired of me being putting so much pressure on his back line, he sends number 8 with whatever set play of the scrum. But as an experienced openside flanker, iā€™d just still go towards my number 10, tackling number 8 if he makes a good round run towards my 10 taking full speed hit, but if he sees me going outside he will most likely run to my inside shoulder, and get hammered by my number 8 and blindside flanker. Basic flanker playing.
What iā€™m trying to say is this took me years to get right on the pitch, as it is a matter of vision, timing, anticipationā€¦ so iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s hard as hell to reproduce in a video game as it needs perfect timing, pace, and players positioning in the first place. But still, I can allready imagine, I would love so much to be able to select my open side flanker on a defensive scrum and start chasing number 10 like in my good old days, and have the players positioning, timing, make me relive those determinant phases for a flanker. A good 10 and a great winger with perfect timing can fool me into chasing number 10 when he actually passes the ball inside to a fast paced winger cutting the line Touluse style, while a bad 10 doesnt make the right call and gets hammered. Would be awesome.

Well, good luck with that. Cheers :wink:

5 Likes

GotBy

Agree with a simpler scrum,
Statistic based.

Even though this would makes penalty very difficult to implement (how you do it? Random? based on statistic? Morales?)

But on the other hands right now line outs are too simpler. No mini game needed but maybe a sistem similar to rugby 08 is good. Timing the hookers launch cuold be great and also statistic based. So not straight does depend on the hooker status and statistic and so the catching of the locks.

4 Likes

For my opinion, if we want to reproduce the speed and intensity of a rugby match, we donā€™t need QTE on the rucks.

A simple button to try to jack the ball (if too early or too late => Penalty, if it is in the right timing, a probability of scratching,a probability of slowing down the exit, and probability to win or loose a penalty ). The same button to try to keep on the ground when we are in the attacking side (also with the risk of penalty).

Afterwards, if the ball is slowed down by a jacker, a possibility to drive the ruck.

But playing all the rucks like in other rugby games is repetitive, boring and slows everything down.

2 Likes

@RossSymons hey Ross
Thank you for the transparency lately, itā€™s made me feel a lot more excited for the game than I already was.

Is there any chance we can get another camera angle for goal kicking animation? The only problem I have with it right now is the zooming in hard with the ball kinda takes you out of the feeling of if itā€™s going over or not.

The other angle from far behind the kicker and then cutting to the reverse shot from behind the posts has a better feel to it, but the cameras movement feels quite intense when we cut to that reverse shot. Maybe the reverse angle could be pulled back slightly, just enough to see the lines men lift their flag up?

Just thinking of elements to keep the player engaged in the kick till the very last second with a clear view of the ball trajectory, and to hold a bit of suspense for if itā€™s going to go over or not.

I have played a few hours of this now, personally a little disappointed. I find it almost unplayable in its current state, that being said i do have some positives.

First, the visuals are great, and love the simple ui in the menus. The sound is also great, the crowd noise is particularly good. I like the simple controls for goal kicking, lineouts, i always hated the ā€˜mini gameā€™ concept i think these should stay simple and player ratings should effect the outcome. I also like the fact you are taking alot from league live 4, i personally have spent alot of time playing that game and for the most part its very well done.

I wont repeat all the bugs and glitches that are obviously present, im sure everyone can see them. Id like to think they will be fixed.

The passing and receiving need work, that was actually one feature from league live 4 that needed improvement. Slow, loopy passes kill the game and the players receiving the ball static kills flow. I like the idea of pass selection instead of the ā€˜press and hold for distanceā€™ method. However it currently doesnt work and the player ai needs to be improved, adding in the running lines/set plays etc (again, this was used in league live 4).

The league tackle animations need to be reduced, or the addition of many more union style tackles. I feel with the current tackle animations, its hard to make meters with crash ball. Having a big centre, or back row player crash a defensive line to give you front foot ball is huge part of the modern game.

I set up a few ai games, just to see how they play against each other. Im aware this is in an experimental state, but the ai currently is braindead. 1 up passes, going nowehere or even backwards, until they are in their own 22 and decide to kick. There is no creativity. 90% of the games ended 0-0, and the few that did end with scores came from mistakes.

Player positioning seems mental at the moment, again, im aware its experimental, but the 9 never being at a ruck and the 15 never at the back to receive the ball from kicks are pretty basic things.

Im pretty optimistic that this game will be great, the building blocks are there. Steal the good from the rugby challenge, rugby 06/08, world cup 2011, rugby 22 and league live games and i think we will be happy.

2 Likes

I agree. Hate mini games. Allow player attributes to dictate the outcomes. This puts emphasis on team management. Looking at your next fixture and selecting stronger scrummagers for that particular opponent would be cool.

5 Likes

Make replays after a try longer, perhaps from last set piece or significant line break prior to that set piece.

In play TMO reviews for dangerous tackles. Allow in some instances minor forward pass, but if try is scored have TMO review and go back.

Team names, anthems, hakas etc before game, sure this will be included.

7 Likes

Agree if those mini games dont Ā« reproduce Ā» a feeling from the real game of rugby (For example, scrums from Rugby 22, wth ?). But just Ā« simulate Ā» scrums accordingn to player stats seems very passive and not fun at all.
There must be some kind of feeling you influence the scrum mechanics by a pushing movement, like in the real game.
One of my favourite game are thƩ Skate franchise. They smartly used the sticks to simulate feet movements. I would think of somethinng like that for a rugby game.

1 Like

Signature moves by well known players, for example kicking for goal actions by Damian McKenzie smiling at poles. Own farrel head follow kicking line etc. Make left footed kickers are left footed in the game. Tap kick moves also to be introduced. In training, allow for own backline set piece running lines to be created.

4 Likes

One thing i really want is Free Camera in replayā€™s so i can go anywhere around the ground without it being locked onto a Player or marker or the playing field itself (itā€™s quite restricted)
You create these beautiful groundā€™s in RRL4,Cricket 24,Tennis yet locked to the playing area itself.
i love virtual photography well have over 10K taken on my Steam account alone.

itā€™ll be awesome feature if you could, like this shot on the store page
Screenshot 2024-07-03 085535
i really like taking photoā€™s like this, that you guys did.

1 Like

So i thought I would introduce myself first. My name is Patrick and i am from South Africa and i love Rugby and i enjoy playing rugby games and i have played every rugby game since rugby 08.

First of all i would like to say thanks for the opportunity to play the game in early access, Iā€™d love to give my feedback and what i would love to see in the game. I really like the foundation of the game, and although i would have love to be able to edit the team sheet and make substitutions during the game, i know that this will be added in due time.

I think with the rucks, i was struggling to try and steal the ball because it didnā€™t show me that i could press x (xbox remote) to steal. I also felt that when i made a dominant tackle and my players surrounded the ruck and i pressed tackler contest, it would take long for them to contest where i feel like it should be instant to go for the jackal.

I really enjoyed the fact that you can pass to different options by holding it down and pressing the button on top of the player that you want to pass too. I felt that when i pressed b the player would receive the ball and then kick it which isnā€™t bad but Iā€™d prefer to give a second more so i could choose to pass the ball on or kick it if i would like to instead of it kicking because i pressed the b button for that player to receive the pass. I also found that i wasnā€™t able to offload after breaking the line and sometimes i couldnā€™t pass even if there was an option available.

4 Likes

I would also like to put in a separate comment what i would love to see in the game. At ruck time I think it would be important to add a dominance meter (so like the scrums) where it shows whoā€™s dominating the ruck and the level so we can see how close we are to securing/turning over a ruck.

Features i would love to see:

1. Career mode (create a pro and coach career mode)

The create a pro would be similar to what we had in Rugby challenge 3 and also what you have in Cricket where you can take a player and take him from amateur level to eventually play for their country and captain their country. Where the camera is player focused and you can control your individual player. And that it gives objectives to improve and the ability to train to improve attributes.

Coach career mode would be like taking charge of a team and dealing with player management, coach management, finances and sponsorships and then if you do well to receive offers from the national teams. It would be awesome if you could design and adjust kits each year to implement the new sponsors so like kit sponsors change the kit, headline sponsors change when you sign a new one etc. i know this is more further down the line but itā€™s just an idea that i had taken from other sports games that i have played and what i would love to see.

I canā€™t wait to select more teams and play more but i just thought Iā€™d share my ideas. It would be awesome to have a pro camera angle, where it just focuses on your player in a close up so you can be more in control of your player.

I hope you guys like my ideas and are able to implement them :pray:t2:

1 Like

In terms of a potential be a pro mode, hopefully the option to also play as the team is included, as it was in RLL4. I found that I preferred that option as you were able to control the whole team and decide how often your player got the ball, I also thought it was easiet to complete the challenges that way

2 Likes

One more thing i noticed is that there is no way for us to implement pattern. So when you have a ruck. I think it would be cool to have the ability to organize your attack with tactics by setting up moves for the backline and being able to set up pods for the forwards to take the ball up before going to the backline and taking the ball wide. This would be cool cause it helps to gain control back of the game and either speed up the tempo or slow it down

It would also be really cool to have like an ultimate team mode where you can create your own team with players from different nations and clubs and play against online players. I think this would be an awesome addition and people have been asking it for a while. Similar to EAā€™s ultimate team in EA FC and Madden

2 Likes

I agree with this so much. I think itā€™s a great foundation but having pods introduced and being allowed to control where to send them would be great

1 Like