Launch (EA1) Feedback

thanks for this, just found out if you click the right stick down you do a little celebration before you score

2 Likes

You might be right. In the current state it just feels a bit off, and I know it is just Early Access, I probably jumped the gun here. And some notes or tutorial will certainly help as well. I know the other games werenā€™t perfect as well, it might just be that we are so used to it, that one just wants to pick up a new game and know what is what. I am looking forward to the first patch, hopefully game play improves a lot.

3 Likes

Another big essay coming, sorry JNT and the dev team!

Iā€™m a bit of a broadcast nause as well (I watch the Prem week in, week out and feed into Sale Sharks on their matchday fan experience as a season ticket holder) - the Premiership Rugby broadcast package pictured is used on pretty much all domestic rugby covered by TNT Sports in the UK (with subtle tweaks to remove TNTā€™s logo for the World Feed sent to other territories), so thatā€™s the Gallagher Premiership, Premiership Rugby Cup and Allianz Premiership Womensā€™ Rugby if the game does indeed feature womensā€™ club rugby as rumoured.

I can also drop some intel on aesthetics and camera angles for cutscenes and replays, for all of the Gallagher Premiershipā€™s games there are a minimum of 8 cameras filming all games, per World Rugbyā€™s protocols for TMO- this is usually what we see at the Salford Community Stadium (better known to a lot of you, still, as the AJ Bell) for a basic Prem game broadcast.

• Three cameras in the gantry, one wide, and a left/right closeup which focuses on play
  • A tripod camera in each corner behind the dead ball area (so four of these)
  • One or two handheld cameramen running the touchline following the action

Depending on the broadcast slot, status of a game within the playoff race, and venue (some games move to Tottenham Hotspur for Saracens/Twickenham for Harlequins), TNT deploy more cameras, including high angle (the infamous cherry picker above one stand), above the tunnel, ā€˜Cinecamā€™ (which is used for fan reaction/player celebrations) and occasionally a drone for games like Saracens v Quins, Bath v Bristol (the major derby games). Spidercam also comes out for the Premiership Rugby Final too.

Someoneā€™s also mentioned commentary - I know the BBCā€™s Andrew Cotter, Jonathan Davies and Sean Holley (the current trio in the game) have likely recorded a lot for the game already but they only really work on International games in reality, not on the club product. While not a BA game, Rugby 22 used Nick Mullins and Ben Kay, who are the lead voices on TNT for Premiership/Europe (alongside Austin Healey, love him or hate him), and the free to air ITV coverage of the Mensā€™ Six Nations (plus the Rugby World Cup) - but it is definitely worth tailoring commentary teams for Northern and Southern hemisphere releases.

Obviously gameplay is rightly the focus but if BA are going for the most authentic presentation of the sport too, this is all good stuff to be aware of.

4 Likes

This is early access and big fixes and updates ate bound to be coming in frequently. But for me, there are a few bi issues that need to be addressed. First is yhe ruck, which has been mentioned quite a lot. Pressing A yo seap player is a bit strangem LB would make a lot more sense. Tackling using the right analog stick doesnt make sense. Something like X for an upright tackle and B for a dive tackle would be a lot better. The scrums are very difficult and need reworking. A line9ut mechanism for timing needs bringing in so you throw in with certain power to hit the line out jumper you are aiming for i.em front, middle or back. The passing isnt fluid and i keep passinf to the opposition 10/there is a bug where the computer player just slowly walks back until he walks dead (he cant be tackled). Also i keep diving through the player when trying to tackle. Hopefully with changes to the game play and the bug fixes, the fame will be playable and enjoyable. Unfortunately it isnā€™t at that place yet. Finally kicking is very quick. It needs slowing down so you can place the kick where you want it to go

1 Like

Have played a good number of games on the early access now. Agree with much of the feedback above re ruck and tackling. However I like the simplicity of the lineout and conversion kicking. I was playing with box kicking tonight and it was better than some Iā€™ve tried before.

What really struck me is despite the issues, the game is actually fun. Once I accept I canā€™t do much about the ruck defence is about defence and when the other team kick or cough up possession itā€™s up to me to make use of possession. Itā€™s fun to try things out and the last game I played was one of the most varied games of rugby Iā€™ve played in a computer game.

No itā€™s not perfect but there is a lot to like here. The acid test for me has been getting it into the hands of my sons (age 15 and 8). Both play rugby, both play FIFA/ EAFC way too much and both have pushed through to play Rugby 20 a bit as they want a rugby game they can enjoy. They keep asking to play Rugby 25 more than theyā€™ve done on a rugby game before. Very encouraging. I canā€™t wait to see how this progresses. Very exciting.

3 Likes

Long time follower of the forums (tracking the release), first time poster. Wasnā€™t too impressed with what I had heard and seen about the game following EA release, but still decided to buy it and be part of the solution rather than just complain about everything.

Will probably say a lot of similar things to whatā€™s been said before, but Iā€™m a long time gamer (and long time rugby gamer) so just want to give as much helpful information to the developers as possible.

I note thereā€™s still obviously a lot of features to be added to the game so will try to keep comments to what Iā€™ve seen so far.

Firstly some positives:

• I think the graphics are pretty solid.
  • Menu interface looks like it will be fine
  • I like the one button approach to kick offs and goal kicks
  • I like the right analogue stick functioning as a tackle/ ā€œhit stickā€

Here are my immediate thoughts having played a couple of games of what needs to be changed/ improved and glitches/ errors Iā€™ve noticed:

• Kickoffs donā€™t seem to vary at all based on where you kick to or length of kick (can lifting pods be added to kickoffs?)
  • Kicking/ defending team donā€™t rush up quickly enough on kick off
  • Passing isnā€™t responsive/ snappy enough
  • I like that you can hold LB / RB and press corresponding face button for a cut out pass. Could it also be added that double pressing LB / RB preforms a simple one-miss cut out pass? Would help the speed / flow of the game
  • Running lines are to slow and players receiving the ball seem to momentarily stop and momentum can be lost
  • Passes are sometimes very floaty
  • Passing logic needs to be improved. For example if Iā€™m wanting to break down the wing and Iā€™ve 2 players outside, the pass should probably go to the player most in line, rather than going a few meters back just because that player is beside.
  • Should be an ability to give a pop pass to a forward or set up pods from rucks
  • Attacking lines and support runs need improvement
  • When breaking through a tackle, Iā€™ve tried pressing LB / RB to give a quick pass, and itā€™s changed control to another player, leaving the player with the ball in uncontrolled
  • Does offloading exist yet in the game?
  • Tackling isnā€™t realistic. Tackling player immediately stands up for example rather than staying on the ground
  • While the hit stick is a good idea, tackling is difficult. In Madden for example, there is a ā€œheat seekerā€ / tackle assit setting.
  • Game has glitched one or twice on me where tackling simply will not work and opposition basically slow walks up for a try
  • Rucks need a lot or work. Have seen players magically warped into them to make up numbers.
  • There needs to be a momentum meter or something implemented for rucks.
  • Canā€™t figure out how to perform turnovers. And havenā€™t even had opposition perform one on me. Once a team has the ball they never seems to lose it.
  • As has been mentioned a few times here by others, ball sometimes doesnā€™t come of ruck sometimes, resulting in a free kick.
  • Canā€™t understand the scrum system (although a tutorial system will probably sort that)
  • Line-outs need to have the ability to move pods. Could map pod selection to the right stick (simple flick), pod movement to left stick, and keep the one buttons throw in thatā€™s there presently
  • Game needs more mo-cap and animations. All players run very similar. Not enough variety in tackle animations, try scoring animations, kicking etc etc.
  • Button presses donā€™t seem responsive enough in many parts of the game

Iā€™ve a couple more thoughts on how players move and pass and kick etc but itā€™s possible that the stats system hasnā€™t been integrated yet? There doesnā€™t seem to be enough difference between the movement and performance of players at different positions

5 Likes

Additinal small bit of feedback but if youā€™re going to go and get some more commentary lines 100% needs Jonathan Davies to shout ā€œNumbers !ā€ Whenever heā€™s commentating on a wales game and wales break as is tradition !

Also the running joke of ā€œthat tackle was bad an enough to put him in ward 4

ā€œ I hope not [name] thatā€™s a maternity wardā€

Would be be a funny inclusion

In all serious tho love the commentary team you picked watched many of a wales game having jiffy on the coms.

Just hoping too that the coms team sell big moment like a last minute win or winning the World Cup/6N as previous rugby games never really sell the moment well making it feel as if itā€™s just another try or game

1 Like

Just some more thoughts on possible features/controls. Most have probably been mentioned before but reckon theyā€™re pretty important for building a good basis of play:

• Option to dive early for try line (different buttons do different dives, I.e. A dive early, B place ball down, X swan dive, Y dive to avoid touchline)
  • Option for forwards to pick and go from ruck, as well as scrum half (B+direction for forwards and just direction for scrum half, maybe have multiple players latching or an option to bring a pod short to tip onto)
  • Option for hooker or scrum half to pick and go from back of maul (I.e. B+direction for hooker and just direction for scrum half)
  • Control to always find 10/the person sitting out the back of pods (I.e. both bumpers automatically passes to 10 or player sitting behind pod)
  • Set moves off scrum and line outs (I.e. 12 pronounced with a forward outside to tip to, would change dependent on numbers in lineout. Need to be able to set before scrum/lineout starts so donā€™t have to multitask)
  • Option to pass to forwards or backs from ruck (I.e. d pad for forwards and bumpers for backs)
  • Option to put kicker into pocket for clearance/drop kicks (I.e. down on D pad)
  • Place kicks need to be harder closer to touchlines and further out from goal (pressure gauge?)
  • AI needs to play like a proper team, do set plays, kick when under pressure, stretch the user, make tactical subs
  • Needs to be more opportunities to win/concede penalties. Needs to be an offside line which gives an advantage when broken, going off feet at ruck, deliberate knock ons, high tackles, collapsing maul, not releasing, not rolling etc. AI should concede these penalties when under pressure.
  • Scrum halves to run cheat lines ahead of play to wait for line breaks (watch DuPont in any game ever)
4 Likes

Goal Kicking too simple.

Really feel like Rugby 15 goal kicking had something going, i know it was really janky, but the idea of a power build up and then an accuracy reading is much more of a mini game than just pressing one button to kick.

Rugby 2011 World Cup & Rugby 08 had a good system but sometimes also felt too simple.
Rugby 15 using the Right joystick felt cool because you could add curl to it too, if it was fixed up it could really make kicking feel smooth.

3 Likes

1000% agree, this is a big must on an authenticity and aesthetic perspective

2 Likes

GotBy

I donā€™t know if any of my fellow players already said butā€¦
I would like that on every scoring could the crowd could go crazy, maybe a bit of camera shaking.

Maybe i could be tuned for different situations.

For example, a close game every one go really crazy but for a 50 nill game the crowd just claps.

Right know scoring a try feels a bit flat.

Edit: adding to that

Would be cool to have more cutscene for pre and post match.

Maybe for finals:
Locker room cam.
Walking into the tunnel entrance.

Of course recieving the cup and players celebrating.

Also could be cool to have Coach cam.

3 Likes

The game has a very decent base to
Work with just a few improvements
Out half to kick off instead of full back
Option to put kicker into pocket for clearance/drop goals/ finding touch
Goal kicking animation styles of top goal kickers like Owen Farrell Jordy Barrett etc
Numerous options for penalties ( which is a major aspect in game for offside dangerous tackle killing the ball collapsing scrum etc)

4 Likes

One potential thing would be to check if your controller is set up for Steam Input - on some controllers if this is set to use the gameā€™s built in controller support, it will be backwards on some controllers.

Click the little controller icon on the steam home page:

Then enable steam input

If that is enabled and still incorrect, let me know what controller you have and weā€™ll investigate more.

2 Likes

On controls, the RLL4 controls are good, and Iā€™d like this game to reflect that - realistically the only changes would need to be to integrate rucks/set pieces etc

1 Like

Firstly, Iā€™ve read all of the comments above - Iā€™m on the first leg of a 24-hour journey on a plane so Iā€™ve been able to catch up! Thanks sincerely for the feedback.

@tgdaly Your comments around your kids playing is the sort of post that really drives the team, theyā€™re working extraordinary hours ATM - this is exactly the type of boost they need.

12 Likes

Ok, so first of all, the dev team hate me doing this;

We will make sure there are a few controller options to choose from - from the above there is no consensus on best controls, so it seems thatā€™s the only way we will be able to satisfy the majority of people.

15 Likes

Massive thanks to you and the team for everything youā€™re doing, canā€™t wait to see what this turns into!

2 Likes

@RossSymons a quick suggestion, on some of the other games i play (notably bmx streets) theres an option to play the game in ā€˜experimental modeā€™ (see screenshot attached)
This allows players to play the latest version of the game with anything the devs are working on that have yet to be patched into the game.

Not sure if its feasible for r25 but if you gave some, or all players access to this it would allow the community to fully playtest any changes that are going to be implemented and report on any unforseen issues or bugs before a patch goes live, might be unecessary but just a thought

2 Likes

So a headā€™s up that there will be a patch tomorrow. You are getting this news here before anyone else.

• Improved Tackling (Ongoing)

Improved tackle effectiveness, reducing simple running around the AI and improved user tackles.

• Improved passing (Ongoing)

Improved passing ball trajectory and player timing of their runs, reducing missed passes. Improved passing from the ruck.

• Corrected Controls screen and Settings text

Corrected mislabeled controls, including the Side camera option being labelled ā€˜Highā€™ and omitted controls including the ā€œBā€ button for tackle.

• Corrected competition mode scoring system

New Custom Competition mode saves will utilise the correct 4 points for a win, 2 points for a draw scoring system.

• Adjusted night match start time

Reduction in the occurrence of harsh shadows due to some matches beginning at dusk before the lights would turn on.

• General stability improvements

Improved game stability and non-progression issues (game not advancing and plays not able to complete, particularly during rucks).

18 Likes

Probably would have been wise to do a week ago :slight_smile:

4 Likes