Lets vote for the controls that we want to see in the game ( You can choose up to 2, if you want to combine them)

• Rugby 08
  • Rugby Challenge Series
  • Rugby 20/22
  • Stick to Rugby 25 Controls
0 voters

Don’t mind a refreshing new one , as long as it works. Lineouts and penalty kicks are to easy and no fun without a challange.

2 Likes

I don’t mind the new controller scheme.
If everything worked like intended would be great.

Unfortunatly it’s not the case.

Maybe the only thing i would change is add a tackle button instead of the sticks. But maybe with patch even the stick could be good.

1 Like

Tackle with B (Xbox) mate. Stick is just a dive tackle.

2 Likes

I thought RC4’s controls were on point.
I quietly just wished they modelled Rugby 25 off RLL4.
Confident BA can pull it back and nail it🀞

2 Likes

So after playing around 11 hours, I am starting to get the hang of some of the controls of the game. Although it is difficult to say how they will actually work once the game is patched, remains to be seen. I have currently moved my second selection to keeping to Rugby 25 controls, and still keeping Rugby Challenge as an alternative, because I think they had some decent controls for example the way to select your fullback, how to bring your fullback in the attack line and the way to set your line depth and width, also to put your 10 in position for a drop goal etc. I know we found an alternative for tackling, but I still feel the right analog stick tackle option should completely be removed.

1 Like

This, exactly. RLL4 passing controls just give you a little bit more than RC4 imo

1 Like

I think the nicest thing is to control the tackles only with the stick.

Left, engaging the left shoulder, right engaging the right shoulder.
Upward: aggressive tackle (with random risk of high tackle or miss + 100% high tackle if the stick is 100% high)
Down: tackle on the legs, less risk of missing, but certainty of going backwards.

If the player engages the wrong shoulder there is a high risk of missing the tackle + a risk of injury

1 Like

Just press B mate, just press B.

Although I agree it would be nice for the right stick to be the more dynamic tackling method.

Feels intuitive to like your legs are the L stick and your shoulders arms are the R stick.

Be interesting to see what happens with the various button layout options.

2 Likes

Didn’t realise B do the tackle. I press it instinctively but maybe i just thought that the AI did tackle for me.

1 Like

Move to the tackle, press LT to strafe when close if in front. Hit B.

See you’ve been doing it without knowing ha ha. Skills.

1 Like

Yeah probably ahah use to do it on RLL4 only on there the incentive to do it, that is to not commmit High tackle.:sweat_smile:

1 Like

arent the controls pretty much always the same in any rugby game lol

2 Likes

Let’s look at what happens in the tackle in real rugby.

On Defence
The tackler releases the tackled player as soon as the tackled player knee touches the ground. Assign a button for tackle and one for tackle release. Add 2 buttons one for jackle and one for counter rucking. This can all be assigned to face buttons.

On attack.

The tackled player when tackled presents the ball back in the ruck while teammates rucks over him. Have a button for heavy bind and one for quick bind. Also assign a button for placing the ball back in the ruck.

This creates a mini game as well as creating more penalties in the game.

Just a suggestion not sure if it will work

Tbf (On Xbox) Y is counter ruck and X is jackal already.

BASIC ATTACKING CONTROLS SUGGESTIONS: (xbox controls for reference)
Note: L3 & R3 are the Analog Sticks
L3 – Player Movement
LT + R3 – Switch Attacking Direction
( Note: 2/3 Player Move over to the other side of the ruck to create Overlap Opportunities usually the nearest players to the ruck and the rest of the team shift accordingly)
LB – Pass One Player Left
RB – Pass One Player Right
Hold LB/RB for Pass Options = X – Nearest Player
Y – Skip Pass
B – Wide Pass to Wing
A – Behind the Back Pass ( Note: It passes to the player behind the above options for example the fullback)
RT – Sprint with Player
Kicking Controls = X – Drop Kick
Y – Bomb/High Kick
B – Grubber Kick/Kick Ball on ground
A – Punt
Note Hold Buttons to determine Power
Direction Pad/Arrows = ↑ - Move Attacking Line more Flat
← - Move Attacking Line Wider
β†’ Move Attacking Line Narrow
↓ Move Attacking Line Deeper
(AI adjust according to the ruck for depth and width)
R3 Movement = ↑ - Bump / Hand Off / Break Tackle
← - Steps to Left ( Steps of right foot and moves left)
β†’ - Steps Right ( Steps of Left foot and moves right)
↓ - Dummy Pass
↔ - Ankle Breaker Step ( Makes Opposition fall to the ground in the opposite direction)

BASIC DEFENCE CONTROLS SUGGESTIONS
L3 – Player Movement
A – Leg Tackle/Diving Tackle/Dive on Loose Ball
Y – Aggressive Tackle/High (Note this uses more energy, and drives opposition back)
Note: If receiving a Kick in the 22 allow Y to mark the Ball
B – Change Player to nearest to Ball Carrier
X – Change into FullBack
LB/RB – Change Player Left/Right
RT – Sprint
Direction Pad/Arrows = ↑ - Move Defense Line more Flat
← - Move Defense Line Wider
β†’ Move Defense Line Narrow
↓ Move Defense Line Deeper
(AI adjust according to the ruck for depth and width)

ATTACKING RUCK CONTROLS SUGGESTIONS
A – Secure Ruck (Note this will allow for rucks not to feel congested and make ruck speed a factor in gameplay. Further Note that a Ruck cannot be secured if there is no player over the ruck)
B – Add Player to Ruck
Y – Setup Pick Up and Drive from Ruck ( Note Allow one player to pick up and additional player to move with him just around the ruck )
X – Box Kick
Hold LB/RB for Pass Options = X – Nearest Player (Pod)
Y – Skip Pass (Pod)
B – Wide Pass to Wing
A – Behind the Back Pass ( Note: It passes to the player behind the above options for example the Flyhalf )
LT – Setup for Drop Goal/Pocket (Do not randomize who is in the pocket, Play Kicker should always be the option, if Play Kicker is in the ruck, then make and automatic second play kicker of everyteam decided by their Kicking Stats)
For Example in France if Thomas Ramos is unable to kick due to a ruck then Romain Ntamack takes pocket/Drop Goal
Press LB + RB = Pass to Pocket
R3 + Directional Pad/Arrows = Set Plays
Note: Add a Setplay where a chip kick is automatically chased by your next 2 players, as well as automatically going into a kick position – Tap A kick immediately OR Hold A to Determine Power/Distance
Note: Add a Setplay where the same as the above but instead for a Cross Kick and the winger automatically chases.

DEFENSIVE RUCK CONTROLS SUGGESTIONS
B – Add Player to Ruck
X – Jackal / Steal Ball
Y – Leave Ruck / Remove Player from Ruck
LT + R3 = Move Defense Over (Note: 2/3 Players move from one side of the ruck to the other side to counter Overlaps)

ATTACKING LINE OUT CONTROLS SUGGESTIONS
L3 – Moves Throw in option (Front Middle Back)
A – Pass After Ball is caught
B – Maul Option
X – Catch (Note this means that if the player catches the ball he will go to ground and then automatically pass to the number 9)
Y – Fake Jump / Mock Jump
Directional Pad / Arrows = Line Out Set Plays
( Note this means Set Plays which can only happen at a Lineout)
For Example: Over throw the Line Out for 12 to run in and catch
Over Throw the Lineout for 8 to catch
Throw a short ball directly for 3/1 with the option to pass back 2 to run on the line
Throw in set up a maul and pop the ball to the Hooker (2) who is running around the ruck.

DEFENSIVE LINE OUT CONTROLS SUGGESTIONS
L3 – Moves Throw in option (Front Middle Back)
A – Pass After Ball is caught
B – Maul Option
X – Catch (Note this means that if the player catches the ball he will go to ground and then automatically pass to the number 9)
(Note Allow for a small quick mini game to contest for the Line Out Ball)

QUICK TAP PENALTIES
Allow a small window / time period for Players to press A and take the quick penalty immediately and continue playing.
On the same note still configure the game to allow for the 10 meter advantage line.
If a player chooses to wait out for the Options at a Penalty and they further choose to Tap and play provide them with Β½ Setplays from a tap to choose from is they so choose to do so.
For Example 9 Taps and passes immediately to a Pod
Or 9 Taps and passes behind the pod to 10 for a cross kick.

GOAL KICKING CONTROL SUGGESTIONS
Make use of a Power Meter / Bar that indicates how much Power is going into a kick. There are a lot of players who can easily slot a kick from 60 meter if they use enough power.
Use the Arrow Aiming System that allows players to choose a line and curve the ball if need be.
Goal Kicking is not that easy and should have some moderate difficulty to it.

2 Likes

I like these. I would definitely vote for them.

1 Like