AFL 23 - Megathread

None taken mate.

Some of what you mentioned was definitely something I raised as a talking point while I was in there too about drip feeding some footage of it in the build up to generate hype.

I have mentioned this to them a few times but I think it has been a missed opportunity to build positive energy around the mode in the build up, but that may not have been BA’s call to make.

I felt that after my video it created a bit of positivity and good talking points about the modes that maybe could have been built upon once a week even to expand further or showcase it all, but a lot of that positive energy has now changed which is such a shame because I truly think everyone is going to love the mode and BA should be proud and keen to showcase it in the lead up.

The final thing I think people need to also consider with all of this is don’t underestimate how much say the AFL have in regards to the releasing of things, it may not be as simple as it being 100% BA’s call on all of these things.

7 Likes

But who in their right mind wouldn’t want to build hype for it. Hype leads to players and players = $

Interesting that you bring this up as I don’t recall seeing anything from the AFL regarding AFL23 post launch…

4 Likes

There are a lot of stakeholders at play here within BA, the AFL, and the AFLPA who may all have different wants and needs relating to the releasing of info and footage that may not align to what us consumers want and need.

All it would take is for 1 stakeholder from within any of those places to put their hand up and posting footage / info could come to a complete stop until they say otherwise.

In regards to not seeing much from the AFL since launch, just because they aren’t seen, definitely doesn’t mean they aren’t 1000% across this and playing a active role behind the scenes.

I think a lot of this could be a learning for them too in regards to how the needs / wants of a video game consumer differ to a consumer of regular footy merch for example.

Gaming is just a different beast.

2 Likes

I’m well aware that there is plenty of stakeholders throughout the entire process, it’s just crazy to think that one of them potentially could want to stop hype or to help cut @JNT_BA some slack by calming the masses! :joy:

I figured the AFL would still actively be involved, but to not see any kind of promotion from them is strange.

2 Likes

Whoever it is owes JNT a drink or 2!

3 Likes

I made him the offer of beer and pizza yesterday but he didn’t want it :joy:

2 Likes

Or 10 or 20 or a prepaid credit card that will last me a year :man_shrugging::rofl:

2 Likes

I remember back in the Live 1 days, Big Ant were keen as to show off a tonne from the game (even during development) and they got in trouble from tru blu who got told off by the AFL for releasing screenshots/info without their approval.
Now there’s no tru blu and big ant are essentially in that role, it makes sense that the AFL are probably just as strict and Big Ant aren’t as carefree about it now that they’re working directly with the AFL.

1 Like

Now now, settle down we still need information out of you. :joy:

Maybe once we get Pro Team you can drink yourself to oblivion :joy:

3 Likes

Wait a minute! You mean to say there’s another version AFTER the one that’s out for approval??

I thought everyone was saying it’s done and there’ll never be another one :thinking:

there’s probably a few different versions, to test out various things. it’s very common in the gaming industry.

I’ve seen other people keen on the idea of unlockables too, hopefully it’s something they look at down the track.

Incidentally - liked your marking tutorial video. Marking is always one of those things I struggle with in AFL games, understanding how it works has been a huge help!

2 Likes

My question is when do we think we’ll get the mode. This week looks very unlucky unless we get some news but besides that it feels like we’re in no mans land again.

Sorry CEO I forgot to change to the sarcasm font :grinning:

1 Like

@JNT_BA What are the odds of us having to go through another weekend without PT?

1 Like

Yeah nice, I’m glad it helped. The marking vide was a culmination of things I found myself, and the bits and pieces I’d read on forum posts along the way and tested out.

Funnily enough, even though I’m pretty good at marking now, I have still played a few games online and been smashed in contests. Some people must know another factor in it all that I’ve still not completely understood.
Also… with sliders… making those marking ones lower can make it near-impossible to win an aerial contest… in case anyone really wants to challenge themselves, they’re the ones to look at.

1 Like

Hey @JNT_BA just wondering about how often the player overalls will be updated/adjusted once Pro Team releases. I feel like it’d be cool to have them done once a week but obviously it would be tons of work and I’m not sure how time consuming it is to manually adjust the cards of over 700 players lol? Also will the overalls still be influenced by champion data (if not make Merrett a 99 :wink:)?

1 Like

I think youll find that the cards wont change, if anything they would release new cards of that player periodically but if a player releases at 85 overall that card will stay at 85.

2 Likes

Yeah I’m still trash too, don’t win many 1 on 1’s at all. Numbers in the contest has helped me the most. There’s actually a lot more nuance in the gameplay than what people give credit for.

1 Like

Very true. Ideally individual cards will not change. Each card has been individually created then checked by multiple people based on a number of factors before being approved to go in the mode. So many discussion were had by those involved to how they played what type of player they would be based on the archetypes among other things. I’m pretty sure I know the line-ups of other clubs more than I do the bombers now.

While testing we did have some fun with some cards where we were like sure 99s all around, very early on in development.

7 Likes