AFL 23 - Megathread

Do you use the raise arms (up/forward on the right joystick) I use it a bit in congestion and allows me to release the ball more often than not. Gotta do it before you think you are gonna get tackled not after.

2 Likes

Had to laugh - Dan Butler just kicked 2 straight behinds, I get it down the field to Sam Butler, and the Channel 7 graphics team got too confused.

1 Like

I had this with Charlie Comben coming up as Charlie Curnow, maybe both being #30 and named Charlie?

2 Likes

That happened too me as well lol

1 Like

Yeah the display is pretty messy - I was actually referring to simmed games though, as I donā€™t think you canā€™t see any extended player stats there in match summary.

Yeah not really sure tbh. I havenā€™t been able to replicate it as I got a few more marks with Sam soon after and it was the correct UI. Must have just been because it was so soon after Dan having it and the game probably just relied on ā€œButlerā€ cache. The actual stats there though were Samā€™s, it was just the name and team that were wrong.

Is there a common trend with the goalkicking bug? Iā€™ve gone from AI kicking 7-8 behinds a game to about 3 or 4 on average a game - but all of them are on the run. Set shots they nail every time inside 50, much like me since the recent change. Had 1 missed setshot from outside 50 by Max King

Do you juct flick the R stick up & as the same time as Square button? its very quick tbh

Hey, I live in the US and the only way I get to experience AFL is through this game and I only have an Xbox, Iā€™ve followed this game since day 1 and I would really like to know if the game will be out on xbox very soon and if not can you please speed that up. I appreciate every thing youā€™ve been doing but I really hate the amount of waiting iā€™ve down just to play a game so I can experience something I love, Thanks

1 Like

I do it before I think my player is to be tackled. And once my player is tackled my arms are raised and free to handball away. So no not at the same time, before I think my player is tackled, it is more of a pre-med action

1 Like

First time properly playing the game in a little while and have to say, the latest patch has made it much more enjoyable and free flowing. Handballs linking up better in particular is great to see! Set shot HUD is also much better, even if the opposition seem to rarely ever miss.

Some bugs/suggestions for future patches @JNT_BA :

• Team selection in season mode doesnā€™t save, so you need to re-do your starting line up every game.

• Camera angles! Whatā€™s up with them? Itā€™s like the camera work for most set shots, replays, cutscenes, etc is being done by Oddjob from GoldenEye 007 - why always so close to the ground? lol At one point the camera ended up tracking the ball in flight to the point where I was staring directing up at the roof at Marvel. Footage of players celebrating from what appears to be a knee height perspective is really odd.

• Replaysā€¦ I donā€™t really know how to explain it, but I just donā€™t feel like good patches of play are celebrated enough in the game - the replays are from odd angles (usually too close to the player) and you at most get the one replay (sometimes none at all) after a great goal. And is there any way to see a replay of an amazing mark? So much potential here if some adjustments are made!

• Goal celebrations arenā€™t varied enough. But what really wigs me out is that the cutscene celebrations still warp everyoneā€™s heights to fit with the animation (eg itā€™s jarring seeing Peter Wright at the same height as Zach Merrett when they celebrate a goal).

• Tracking the flight of the ball when shooting for goal - Iā€™m not sure what it is about the way itā€™s been designed, but I feel like I can never really see the ball properly when shooting for goal on the run. The shadow is misleading - but really, all fans want is to be able to see the ball properly as it sails through the air. I canā€™t remember how it used to be displayed in the Evo games, but I found myself being able to really ride the long shots home in real time.

If the camera work, celebrations, replays, visuals when shooting for goal, etc all get some love, the game will feel soooo much more fun, as you can properly ride the emotion of a cracking shot going in, and get a real sense of of accomplishment after a big goal, mark, etc.

My only other suggestion is around bumping in general - is it going to be included properly in the game? IMO the game lacks a sense of physicality - it all feels a little too G rated for a contact sport. You want the feeling of a good shepherd, a real tussle to hold your position in a marking contest, even a good bump that staggers an opponent/knocks them over if you nail timing and momentum. Iā€™m not sure this has been done particularly well, so hopefully improvements to come here.

Hopefully thatā€™s all taken as constructive criticism, because the bones of this game are now really solid - the above adjustments will take it to another level and really dial up what makes Aussie Rules such a fun and dynamic sport IMO. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

For people using End camera (not sure if applies to other camera settings) has anyone noticed the shadows have been weird when everyone faces one sideā€™s end? Their backs are just really dark and then back to normal when facing the opposite way.

Iā€™ve experienced that too many times in my goal square and causes goals against

A major reason I havenā€™t played AFL23 since i broke the update is the tactics and the ai. Iā€™ve reported these thingā€™s multiple times but I feel like my feedback is being ignored hence why I havenā€™t bothered to put in new reports.

1 Like

Iā€™m going to edit this to make it appropriate and give you one last chance. I donā€™t care that you complain about the game but try to skirt the rules one more time and weā€™re done. If you donā€™t want to be here then youā€™re more than welcome to leave. If you want to stay youā€™re also more than welcome to.

10 Likes

I donā€™t want to come across as hostile or anything, but saying all this and then mentioning youā€™re getting smashed on Medium sounds like a personal problem. Iā€™m playing on Hardest and winning comfortably 80% of the timeā€¦Iā€™ve had no issue with this patch. The only thing Iā€™d say is the ai not missing, but if they donā€™t miss 12 goals Iā€™m trying to kick 13 goals.

3 Likes

@JNT_BA wondering abt the box release date, Not sure if you saw my first post but I know itā€™s hard to get the game out but iā€™ve genuinely had a calendar on my wall and I donā€™t wanna keep waiting

Thanks, Ryan

Xbox sorry for the mistake

I might create a new save wonder if that might help fix the problems I experienced. Probably be a wise idea

You clearly do care about it if youā€™re asking for asap fixes hahaha