AFL 23 - Megathread

No, please no paid DLC. Just make the roster update like other sports games throughout the season. I’m so sick of having to buy DLC with a game that’s still in progression of being fixed.

1 Like

Looking forward to seeing what this patch entails.
I have always seen patching as a way of rolling out changes in a timely way without waiting for longer periods.
It would be a fine balance.
Saying that with all the testing going on we must be patient. I hope the testers don’t go through too many controllers in the process :wink:

1 Like

I had no issue paying for the DLC to update rosters in Evo 2 so don’t see what the fuss is about.
I mean there are lots of player movements, new player scans, draftees and subtle guernsey changes, not to mention ground sponsors etc.
I almost feel like a new season update should be separate to gameplay fixes.

2 Likes

@Chuckinho I think some people are just concerned at this stage that they’ve basically paid for a game with 3 things to do in it, once Pro Team rolls out they might have a change of heart in the value for their money.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve definitely gotten my money’s worth and know the game inside and out now, but I can see where people would be coming from.

3 Likes

For other sports there are minor changes throughout a season which they can easily and freely patch in - as BigAnt did with the mid-season draftee players without cost to us. However, NBA/FIFA never just dish out a new season’s squads, geurnseys etc. in a new patch free of charge - it’s always a brand new full priced game instead (with arguably bugger all actual gameplay changes).

The only way we’d get 2024 draftees/team changes/fixtures/geurnseys free is if Nacon turns around and provides it as a gesture of good-will for the shonky launch and/or if Xbox and Pro Team are held back until March/April - but that’s not going to happen. I’d rather pay $20 or so for a 2024 season update + additional gameplay features than $79 for a new game.

3 Likes

@palmomagpie I think BA need to determine whether they release Pro Team shortly or wait until next season, personally, I feel with the AFL season coming to an end, there is no point considering some players who would be featured won’t even be on lists in 2 months (retirees/delisted etc). The only way it would work is if it’s only cards like 2K and not like Fifa with club chemistry etc.

1 Like

It’s a sport, it isn’t designed to be complicated.

I 100% think Pro Team should be held off until next year for the exact same reasons too. There’d be a lot of bad blood from Xbox players (and still some angry PS/PC players too). No point pushing it for finals, as they’ll only get 3-4 weeks of love and then it will die as players get delisted/retire/traded etc. Also, that means they aren’t releasing around the same time as the new 2K and EA 24 which I’m sure would cause huge clashes.
Best to hold it off until March next year, hopefully Xbox will have had a few months of life, then they can release a 2024 update and pro team to launch the season and build hype.

(I am in no remote sense a marketing expert though so my opinion is worth a grain of salt but that’s just my two cents)

1 Like

I think if i paid for it this year I should get it this year. Otherwise be free next year - Im not paying for it again!

Absolutely the same. I felt that FIFA was basically the same game for 20 years with only squad updates and new"modes" that weren’t much different to previous.
Saying that I feel that not many have jumped on the academy train.

1 Like

Yeah I guess that’s where it gets tricky. We paid for it this year, so it should release this year, but it’ll be dead by the time people move on from AFL and onto NBA/Soccer/Cricket season. But then releasing alongside paid 2024 DLC would cause clashes as well especially for those not keen to upgrade - holding it off has just built up a logistical nightmare for a good release. I just can’t see it coming out this season unless it’s revealed next Monday at the close of the regular season/pre finals bye alongside Xbox.

I’m still waiting on the standalone steam academy before I bother with trying to whip together the NTFL - I’m shocking with controllers (having said that, I’m no ace at photoshop on a pc either) and aren’t going to fork out for the PC version on my potato laptop.

And yeah as someone who has purchased every FIFA since 2004, on average the changes are bugger all - only every few reiterations really changes the game. Still so many bugs and even some in 23 that were in FIFA 07 (eg. players ankles getting stuck in the grass and ice skating across the turf).

I started modding Fifa from 98. Still so many bugs…
Standalone academy would be good. Saying that getting some skills with SVG making in Inkscape or Illustrator wouldn’t hurt. I learned how to do it this year.

Chuckinho makes a logo AFL23 - YouTube

1 Like

Will there be patch notes when it’s gone live ??

Is there an ETA?

Within a week? 2 weeks? A month?

1 Like

@Chuckinho sorry if it came off that way, I think I’ve said the same thing last month regarding something else. I just meant AFL23’s biggest selling point was Pro Team, which would provide the most dynamic experience daily for casual players.

I’m similar to the both of yourself and @palmomagpie, I’ve been playing Fifa for 20 years now and have been mostly into manager mode, always have been, but with Fifa, even though the mode has been the same for all these years, you can always change it up with different leagues and give yourself a new challenge each time. AFL has the one league so it’s more of a rinse and repeat. I’ve done around 4 different management mode files and have gotten to 2027, each time I end up trading for the same players.

1 Like

@palmomagpie It would work perfectly at the start of next season because that is usually when the annual Fifa/2K fatigue kicks in.

1 Like

TBH either way I’m never going to play Pro-Team; I don’t get enough time to actually sit down and play a match undisturbed for 30-40 minutes for that to really work in my case, and I have known more than a few guys who’ve fallen into the sports gambling addiction lifestyle and I just can’t get behind it.

I’m a manager mode player through and through - I think in the 13 years ultimate team has been a thing, I’ve sunk a total of about 10 minutes into it. Not my cup of tea. Personally, I’m just looking forward to the standalone academy, sliders and a stack more depth in the manager mode (state league teams, suspensions, job offers etc.). Whether that comes, I don’t know, I’m assuming it won’t. I want the best for AFL23, and subsequent releases, and don’t want to see Pro Team flop. I just hope it comes out at a good time, people can get behind it and the game prospers because of it.

1 Like

@palmomagpie That’s completely fair, I’m lucky enough to be in a position where I can still commit 1+ hour a day to the game. I’ve played my fair share of Ultimate Team, but will always prefer manager modes.

Just out of curiosity, because I’ve seen it mentioned a heap, what do people mean when they say sliders for this game? I know what they are from FIFA and 2k, but what would you need to change for this game?

They had them in Evo 2 as well. You could change the way the AI approach certain things (eg. make them better at tackling, less likely to take screamers etc.) so you could modify the game and AI to eliminate some of the things you really disliked or exploits that AI would use that made the game really repetitive. Increase AI speeds, handball likeliness etc. to make a smoother experience and less “robotic”. Not really sure if thats the best explanation but thats about the gist of it

1 Like