AFL 23 - Megathread

Considering Ross is at the helm i’m going a solid no. Big ant have got to the point as long as they get your money they’re happy. All 4 games they’ve got on the go are complete messes they never plan on fixing

1 Like

The fact there are things such as duplicates of all the traded players, suggests otherwise. Can’t blame complication there. Just people not doing there job properly and checking their work.

You don’t need to press all three buttons, but you CAN press all three.
R1 to hone… but if you want to direct your player yourself, you can.
R2 to sprint… but you will have better control of your tackler’s direction if you don’t.
O to tackle.

One thing I’m preferring to do lately is to try and smother instead of tackling. Get yourself into a better position in front of the player, and try to time the R1 tap (not hold).
A good smother can cause a turnover and allow you to rebound quickly.

1 Like

i remember when big ant used to realse patches nearly everyday for afl 23 when the game first realsed i know the game was broken back then but it would be good if we got patch at lease once a week because the game still needs fixing.

2 Likes

That was because they were re-introducing code they already had written, after the bad release then the scale back of the game. Those daily updates were mostly tested code they previously had.

Now they’re adding and updating code, which requires more work and testing, so we won’t get updates as often.

1 Like

So the game crashed with 2 mins ago in round one of a new management mode career. Good start.

Some of the player movement and handballing is definitely better.

Clicking L3 to change camera angle is a ridiculous update, it’s way too easy to accidentally click it and shank a kick mid-play.

Goal kicking on the run/in general play needs lots of work - blokes who struggle to make the distance from a 40m set shot can suddenly kick is 70m OOF if you mis-time the shot. You wanna tap kick quickly for a simple quick kick when you’re alone in the goal square? Shank. Wtf.

And why are they launching long bombs anyway if you power up the kick for say only 10% of the shot power metre? I get that it’s not in the sweet spot yet (ie it’s an mis-kick) but surely that sort of kick should only go 5-10m given how long you charge up for.

Set shots are ok except for the stupid camera angles, not to mention how bad the ball spins (floats) through the air more often than not. Honestly, how did the developers sign off on some of the camera angles they’ve gone with for set shots and replays? It’s clearly deliberate but looks like a glitch.

Generally, the lack of physicality in pack marks, jostling for ground balls, bumping (or lack thereof) and even seeing your player nudge an opponent after a goal are all missing. Still feels like a soft, Diet version of AFL.

Team selection UI still looks like it’s in its first draft. The UI in management mode with that horrible soundtrack screaming at you is also just so poorly designed and thought through for a sports game in 2023/2024.

Any advice on centre ruck taps? I seem to do ok around the ground but struggle to win a tap in the centre bounces.

Desperately trying to find some joy and playability in this game, given this looks like the best we’ll get for another 12 months or so.

If BA can fix/improve the above & also add sliders so you can actually develop players throughout a season, we’d probably have a very fun AFL game.

1 Like

Will say… the addition of they player heights in their bio is a big positive. Playing as Hawthorn, desperate for key position players. So many times I’d go into the draft, draft a bloke with my first pick who shows as a Key Forward and picked the best based on his stats, then throw him on the field and he’s the smallest out there. Now I can at least tell if I’m drafting a 200cm beast or a 170cm pretending to be a key position player

1 Like

Clicking L3 - this is only for a mark/free, isn’t it? I have never had it show up when I didn’t want it.

Goal kicking (from goal square) - for a quick kick like that, just do a normal kick (X) with the right direction. The goal kick meter is for further out kicks (which you could also try with X), and the R1 ‘speed up meter’ modifier also helps with this scenario. It’s entirely made for accuracy…whereas the X kick meter is for distance… different purposes.

Set shot cameras - What’s wrong with them? They look the same as most AFL games before.

Pack marks - agreed. Most physicality and contested pack marks would be awesome.

Team Selection UI - completely agree. Some changes to thing would be nice to have.

Ruck contests - not sure where you’re struggling with this. Do you have the Vibration setting on? It tells you the best time to tap it. I personally have more trouble at throw ins, and centre bounces are a breeze. (Maybe try with Melbourne - Gawn, or St Kilda - Marshall to see if it’s a player stats thing).

2 Likes

Keen for the next update the game not bad now thanks big ant for your hard work

6 Likes

Just a pity it’s so far away, wish they would drop even a little something in the mean time, the wait is killing me ever since we got this patch :slight_smile: LOL

I guess you missed my first post. I can no longer tackle with just O. My player just stutters/skips and does not lay the tackle. He will literally just run alongside the ball character stuttering. If I use R1 it does work, but holding R1, R2 and pressing O is just ridiculous. Don’t tell me you don’t have to hold R2 either because the opp just runs away if you don’t.

Hmm. Ok.
Well, firstly I guess you’re meaning Triangle for tackle, not O? Or is that the issue?

Aside from that, from memory there is timing and direction that affects a tackle. Hold R1 (honing) should have the direction for you, so maybe just the timing of Triangle to do the tackle?!?!

There’s also times where opponent will kick it, but you’ll still tackle them, albeit late (you can see it in the replay). This can be that frustrating scenario sometimes, but is usually due to the above timing/direction being off.

I personally have gotten more into smothering (tap R1, not hold for honing). This way you position yourself, then perform the smother and have a better chance at turning it over.

2 Likes

It would be good if a day/night cycle was in the game and for it to a bit harder on hardest that make the game really awesome hopefully in the next update !! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’d love to be able to sort custom teams into custom leagues. Finding one of 229 teams who play in 31 leagues is the challenge. #firstworldproblems

We need custom sliders for difficulty and how the game plays. Other big ant games such as cricket 24 have custom sliders and it has made that game so much more enjoyable to play. It makes the gameplay smooth and more realistic I shouldn’t be beating Collingwood by 100 odd points as west coast. I just want a somewhat realistic game, where I can rebuild a team and not win the premiership in the first year. Also the ability to use/add teams to manager career almost like a 2k expansion draft. Ultimately doing this would not only mean more people playing this game the reviews and people playing would make this game elite. Also custom draft classes so we can add actual draft prospects to our league and not have 40 year old patrick dangerfield in my drafts.
Kind regards
Alex.

4 Likes

I really hope the next patch works on management mode. That’s the main thing I feel everyone wants to play but can’t at the moment

I must say I haven’t had too much trouble with tackling.

Make sure you’re using triangle and not circle firstly.

and the key is to make sure you have let go of sprint before tackling.

Holding sprint while trying to tackling has a much smaller window of success than if you let go of sprint. e.g sprint to the player than as you get to them, let go and hit triangle.

for set shot goal kicking, depending on distance i try and keep the first bar at the edge of the blue / heading into yellow. aim at the right goal post or a bit further if excessive wind, then on the second bar try and stop it in the centre of the blue section or left of centre.

seems to work more often than not.

6 Likes

I think set shots need a 30 second timer. You are able to run way too much time off the clock!

1 Like

somehow tackles are broken again?