Early Access 4 (EA4) launch

100 percent.

Licensing and (up to date) Graphic standards is a non negotiable ingredient towards creating a special generational sports game. And the team is doing a phenomenal job with this, brilliant.

…However, the way things stand, the gameplay is dull, uninspiring and stale.

In saying that the Big Ant team has provided our community with by far the most exciting approach towards building a title that could bring many of us the nostalgic feeling of starting up Rugby 08 on a Saturday morning.

Though frustrating is an understatement when reviewing this latest early access in terms of overall game feel

Repetitive comentary that takes more away from the experience than anything.

“highlight real” moments (side-steps/ hand-offs and bump offs) provide no feel of satisfaction and excitement. These moments are everything to our sport… why not add just a tad more variety to these and show replays tied in with energetic bursts of commentry that maximize the small moments that add to the unique story line of each fixture. Promoting replayability and continued user enjoyment. Building a game that stays alive (if that makes sense)

The dying moments of a close season defining match feels no different to one that is 50-0 after 30 minutes.

Yes gameplay is going to improve. Especially if points brought up by the community are acted on. But just a few touches of detail is what could make this excting game very very special.

Rugby 08 on a staurday morning special…

Maybe even better.

1 Like

I will remove any comment I want that has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

I am very open with what I delete when people can’t stick to things. I don’t hide it.

1 Like

Is there any update when you will do photogrammetry for the South Africa URC teams ? Or some have been done already ? Will there be a photogrammetry expedition actually going to South Africa ?
I not sure you can answer this but been meaning to ask the questions for a while

1 Like

Hello to the whole team and hello to @JNT_BA

I’m at 20 hours of play since the EA 4 here is my feedback a little more detailed on the subject:

Positive:

• the passes are better (with a small improvement on the passes when you just press once on the LB or RB key)

• AI improvement: the difficulty has been well reviewed and the Hard or Hardest mode becomes a real challenge.

• Fixed tackle bug: when you tapped to follow you were always caught by a defender it happens less often and is more justified.

• No more game crashes for me during these 20 hours of play

• Offensive positioning greatly improved (even if there is still work to be done on the depth of the line and the depth of the kicker when we are in our 22 meters.)

• The kicks seem really good to me (apart from a few bugs that make me tap backwards from time to time)

• Complete logo creator suits me, it reminds me of RLL

• Premiership very well done (apart from the 4 missing teams that will come soon I suppose)

• Graphics and player’s faces (most beautiful rugby game for the moment, except for the field which deserves to be a little better done)

Points to improve:

• Untargeted passes too random again (I make a lot of touch passes while I play a 2 against 1)

• Ruck too linear in the way of building them, impossibility of stealing the ball even if we are outnumbered or of winning the ruck.

• When we win the ruck it would be good if the ruck stayed in place with the ball coming out like on a scrum for the half-scrum.

• Offside rule still too random at times.

• Line out too random: in attack when the opponent sends on the same block he steals the ball from us all the time.
    On the other hand, in defense it is impossible to steal the ball from the opponent!

• Defensive positioning on the line out and maul after line out to be reviewed (the first defender is 10 - 15 meters from the ruck)

• Bug 1 time disappearance of the ball

• Bug : Quick Throw dont work

• Bug: when I kick the ball in 22 meters opponent, an opponent recovers it I come with my defender to tackle him I try to scratch the ball because there are only the 2 of us and the ruck is bugged

• Bug: display in Premiership competition. When a player scores his name remains on display for conversions and future tries.

• Lack of penalty and rules (penalty when a player keeps the ball on the ground or does not release the ball when he tries to steal the ball)

• Players are badly positioned I often find myself with a lock on the wings. Mauvaka always in wings while he is a hooker. Other Premiership players too (McFarland in fly half so he is a lock).

• Bug of the number 9 who sometimes takes too long to arrive for the ruck so I am penalized and scrum.

• BUG : When the opponent make a maul after line out they dont out the ball i just need to press RL and i push the maul all along the field and normally its a fault and penalty for me after 3 stop.

• Inability to kick behind a ruck the defense goes up too quickly and the kicker is not back enough.

• When we are in our in-goal we cannot kick with A because the player automatically flattens the ball (Maybe change the key to flatten in the in-goal like Click on RStick maybe)*

Thank you if you read me I go back to refine my test of EA4.

I think that the community would need a little more communication in the future in order to avoid frustration for the players as for the developers we are here to work together so that the best rugby game can arrive.

Be strong and good luck to you for the day.

3 Likes

Have you considered that there’s more graphics and team updates because they are easier to implement?

Every single gameplay addition needs to be rigorously tested to make sure it is balanced, works, and doesn’t break the game even then there’s usually gripes because it is impossible to test as thoroughly as hundreds of people playing the game for hours on end.

BA have acknowledged that the gameplay isn’t where they want it to be.

They’ve made it clear that the teams responsible for graphics, face scans etc are a completely separate entity to those developing the game mechanics and gameplay with neither group affecting the others productivity.

They’ve told us that a lot of work in the last ea went towards building systems to facilitate future gameplay updates.

You have every right to be annoyed at the state of the game currently, we all wish it was more enjoyable. Don’t think anyone wants graphics and licenses over gameplay, but when the games finally ready for release you can guarantee that if it’s fun to play everyone will be glad it’s as close to fully licensed as a rugby game has been.

4 Likes

Hi Big Ant Team,

Thanks as always for your work. I haven’t posted any feedback in a while but have been playing all the updates and following the threads here, I think most of what I think of someone has already commented on or you are aware.

I might just highlight the couple of things that I think are most hampering my enjoyment of the game as of right now

Rucks: I find it very random when it comes to getting turnovers. It doesn’t seem clear to me when you or can’t pull it off. Would it be possible to have like the buttom prompt (X) appear above a ruck when a turnover is really on? Like technically a turnover could really happen at any ruck but the game could prompt you when it’s really likely (with the ability to turn this off maybe for people who don’t want the assist).

Scrums: I just don’t really understand scrums, maybe that’s just me. I know the buttons appear on screen of what to press but I don’t understand the whole system. Maybe when the game adds a tutorial mode it’ll be me more clear.

Passing: Running lines I think still need a lot of work but I’m sure you’re aware. As with rucks, sometimes it’s also unclear when an offload is on. I know in Rugby 08 the square button would appear over a player as they were tackled to indicate an offload was possible. Could have L1/R1 or both appear over the player to indicate when it’s likely? Again you can technically attempt them at any time but it’s more risky then. And also with the ability to turn this assist off for players who don’t want it

1 Like

Sorry for the long post, but here is my full and comprehensive feedback for now, which I will update with each EA major update. If you get these things right, the game will be awesome, and address most, if not all of the important aspects.

Passing

Quick pass reaction times need to be low, with some variations on passing models based on the nature of the pass, such as pop pass for close, bullet pass for first receiver, higher floaty/curve pass when skipping a player. Likelihood of intercept and successful offload set with sliders.

Passing needs to take priority over tackle animation, at least for some tackle types. When the defender wraps the attacker, then offload should not be possible, but if tackled at the waist, offload should be possible in tackle. Should be able to get your pass away before fully tackled in either event.

Sliders could be introduced to affect various aspects, such as speed, arc, accuracy, player skill influence, etc, with player traits also affecting such.

Single tap for normal pass, double tap for close pass and hold button for longer/skip pass, with D-pad setting the line, rather than have A or B to select player to pass to. This creates a better flowing game with more dynamism.

Player positioning

The supporting players’ positioning should be fixed to the ball carrier at all times, putting them in a good position to receive the ball, importantly WITH momentum, as they run adjacent to the ball carrier – flat rather than deep. Have close runners for close offloads, dummy runners for first receiver to pass to, and fast runners to hit a half gap, including the scrum half following up and looping around after passing. In essence, lots of options to pass to in any faze. This is dynamic support play, which is a much better solution than set plays that never work. Using the D-pad to set the general offensive line tactics, such as close running with the forwards (left), wide with the backs (right), deep for the kicker with teammates chasing the kick (down), etc.

Players need to get into position quicker, but not too quick where it is unrealistic. Scrum half needs to always follow the action/ball to be at the ruck as soon as possible, with options to pass to. Different speeds for different players, based on traits (prop being slower than a wing, with less skills, but more power).

If you can get quick ball from the ruck and your offence can set for the next fase before the defence, it can create opportunities, although you will have less efficient positioning on offence as you would if you delayed the ball coming out of the ruck, so you can decide how to approach each fase (risk/reward), but the ball must be available to a ready half back as quick as possible. So ruck ball available immediately and scrum half in position immediately. Also add small things like the scrum half turning his head in either direction as he assesses his passing options before the you as user pass the ball.

Instead of having to write and introduce set plays, which slow down the overall gameplay, just code running players to fix to the position of the ball carrier and run different lines (crash ball, switch, dummy and normal). This should be dynamic and fast, depending on how your line is set before releasing the ball for the next fase and how quickly you decide to get the ball out of the ruck.

If you commit a lot of players to the ruck, to protect the ball, there will be less players in the close quarters to receive a crash ball and you might be forced to go to backline. Dynamism creates realism.

Again, using sliders and player traits can affect how effective a player is in positioning and running lines. Very important aspect IRL

Kicking

Box kicks need to be higher. Quality and strength of the player determines how far he can kick it.

Place kicking needs to be harder, with the quality of the player influencing difficulty. Not all players curve the ball, so default to straight kicks with a button to select the curve yourself, in either direction. Alternatively, some players do kick with more curve than others, so then set this on a player level, still with the ability to change this with a button when kicking, but small curves relative to the player specific curve. Different kicking animations you can set when creating a player, or pre-set for licensed players.

Punts need to have the right amount of power (not too little and not too OP), with player traits like strength and accuracy affecting the outcome of a kick, and sliders affecting the amount of influence of traits.

Grubber kicks need to go out of hand instantly, as IRL, similar to the passes, with follow up players fixing to the ball position so as to attack the ball and ignoring instruction until the ball has been picked up.

Defence

Again, using the D-pad to determine defensive line tactics, such as close to ruck (left), wide (right), kick receive (down), rushed (up), passive, etc.

Attack

1. D-pad left - Set line close, with pods close to the rucks to receive short crash ball, with support runners for the offload. Mostly forwards on close support lines
  2. D-pad right - Set line wide, with support runners in the backline for the quick offload in contact to hit the gap. So forwards and backs run support lines for the backs
  3. D-pad down - Set line deep for the kick.
  4. D-pad up - Set line flat to chase on the box kick from the ruck.

Defense

1. D-pad left - Set defense close to ruck
  2. D-pad right - Set defense wide
  3. D-pad down - Set defense for kick with wingers slightly back near touch and also full back and possibly 10 well back
  4. D-pad up – Normal or rushed defence with weakness on the wide pass

Once you select one of the options, it remains on that option until you select another one, so it sets to that option.

AI defence needs to be more chilled.

Reduce the tackle radius to allow for successful gaps.

Attacking player needs more forward momentum when tackled, unless the defender makes a dominant tackle. Introduce and differentiate between normal tackles and dominant tackles with a slider to determine the probability thereof.

Set piece

I like a simplified set piece, with minimal mini-games, as again they reduce the pace of the game, similar to set plays. Therefore, keep it simple, but with the ability to affect the outcome of the set piece, whilst introducing sliders and player traits to customise the probabilities of outcomes.

Player traits like strength need to determine a player’s effectiveness at counter rucking and holding, scrumming and line outs, and jackal ability determining the effectiveness of stealing the ball before the ruck is formed.

Previous feedback on rucks -

1. Once the ball carrier goes to ground, if the defending team gets to the ruck first, you have an opportunity to jackal the ball. You usually see only 1 or 2 players at the same time jackaling. If not done quick enough, the attacking team support players can drive them off the ruck by joining the ruck. Can introduce sliders to determine jackal speed and efficacy, as well as individual player traits impacting speed and efficacy. Have actual animations of these moves. Two players to clear out the jackal and 1 or 2 more to secure the ruck. This is why people are saying 4 to 5 players.
  2. Once the ball carrier goes to ground, if the attacking team gets to the ruck first, the support players secure the ruck for the next faze and the defending team cannot steal the ball unless they counter ruck first. The user determines how many defenders to commit to the ruck, depending on how many attacking players have been used to secure. Again, sliders can be introduced to improve efficacy of securing the ruck, as well as counter rucking. Individual players traits, such as physicality or power can also be introduced to determine efficacy for individual players, so that backline players are predominantly worse at rucking than forwards, and some forwards are more skilled in either ruck clearing or jackaling.

Each user determines how many players to commit, in attack or defence. The more players used, the more successful the ruck. If the defending team tries to jackal and the attacking player holds on - penalty for holding on (tap button to either jackal in defence or hold on in attack). If the ruck is secured by the attacking team and the defending team tries to steal the ball without a counter ruck - penalty for hands in the ruck. Proper animations are crucial where you have individual players targeting other individual players in the ruck.

So you have a button for players entering the ruck and counter rucking, as well as a button to tap for stealing the ball or holding on. Good luck trying to steal the ball at the wrong time, i.e. when ruck has been formed and no counter ruck has been made. Also introduce referee sliders like in your cricket games, so the referee might miss some actions or calls. Timing should be such that jackaling happens rather quickly if successful, but counter rucking takes longer, as there are real animations. If there is no counter ruck, then the ball is available rather quickly for the next faze.

Player animations in line-outs look very robotic. Introduce more dynamism with each player making different movements whilst standing in the lineout and waiting for the ball.

Skill plays

I like the analog for side-steps, but don’t want to use it for fend-offs every time. Would like sliders as well, to determine the probability thereof when NOT using analog, with player traits like strength/power also having an impact and occasionally handing-off automatically.

Infringements

Sliders and player traits like discipline should also affect the probability and severity of infringements like high tackles and offsides. If your defence is set to “rushed” and a non-player gets too eager, he can be caught offside, otherwise there will never be offsides. Possibly do the same for stealing the ball in the ruck, with NPC’s, even though you control the stealing with your own player, otherwise there will rarely be ruck penalties.

Have penalties for “hands in the ruck” when trying to steal the ball, but also for “holding on” when opposition are trying to steal legitimately.

Referee

Sliders to affect how strict referees are (unless this is set per referee) and how often a referee can get a call wrong.

Fix the TMO to come in play when the ref missed something, or it is a close call, like a try in the corner and not a clear cut try.

The referee hardly ever says anything. Would like to hear the ref making calls and officiating the game, talking to and instructing the players. Also would like to hear the ref blow his whistle at each stoppage or score, with long blows for penalties and tries and shorter blows in other instances.

Cameras

Dynamic camera zooms, with a zoomed-in view at the set piece and ruck, and zoomed-out when passing down the line and kicking. Such as IRL broadcasts that immediately jump from zoomed-in to zoomed-out view

Also, would like a broadcast camera that is fixed to the 50m line, with another option for side-on view which follows the advantage line and another option from behind.

Different camera heights depending on the stadium, set at stadium creation stage, so smaller/lower stadiums have lower camera heights, whereas bigger/higher stadiums have higher camera heights.

Creation

I have already mentioned the camera heights for each stadium, set at creation stage.

Also add the option for an athletics track around the field, as that is a thing.

Many stadiums also have grass embankments, so either add that asset (various sized embankments) with crowds as a preset, or add a crowd brush, with various sizes and densities so that you could brush a grass embankment to have crowds. Need a wide variety of assets, not like the cricket games where it was limited. I forget the name, but you get pavilions without seats where the spectators stand and have a metal bar in front of them.

Give the option to add multiple home stadiums to a team, OR just be able to change stadium in match settings, irrespective the home stadium.

AI

The AI need to be great on attack and be able to play dynamically, not just pass once and crash up. Make the same backline moves that a player will make, including tactical kicks etc. The attack should be able to easily beat the defence with a good move (whether AI or player), so a good attack should have a higher ceiling than a good defence.

The quality of the AI opposition should be in line with the team’s overall rating, so when two AI’s play against each other, generally the better team will get the win, but always a chance for an upset. The difference in quality or rating should be clear in the final score.

Introduce sliders on the impact of such ratings or gap in ratings, and the differential between attacking and defensive effectiveness, so whether you play 10 min, 20 min, or 40 min halves, you could have the same scoreline by adjusting sliders on effectiveness.

Other

Using sliders and player traits like “skills” or “handling” for the probability/frequency of knock-ons, otherwise there will never be any.

The ball should be tucked under the arm when scoring a try, more often than not, unless unchallenged by a tackle, where you might just dot the ball down casually. Sprinting when scoring could result in tucked ball and no sprinting resulting in dot down.

Immediate button input, i.e. no delays in action after pressing a button (immediate feedback). The game should register the exact moment you press the button, so that when doing different moves, with kicks or offloads, it can be executed and the gameplay runs smoothly. With this in place, you should be able to quite quickly change direction with your offensive player, by doing a dynamic step on the fly with your left analog, as opposed to right analog, hitting a half gap on attack and immediately change direction when needed. The same on defence, although much harder for a defender to make an effective tackle, if at all, whilst changing direction. Grubbers, kicks, passes and moves will also be executable for a realistic game, when you have dynamic positioning and running, with immediate button input.

Starting at ruck time, as soon as the player goes to ground, the closest one or two support players should go in to defend the ball, steal or counter ruck, then scrum half goes in immediately and waits until you have set your fase and are ready to pass. Once ball is passed, whilst ball is in the air, you should already be able to press the button for the next move, whether pass, offload or kick (like a grubber through the line), and as soon as the ball is caught, the action is executed. This allows for faster/smoother gameplay, WITHOUT speeding up the mechanics. The speed of the mechanics is pretty good at this stage and one might argue it could be slowed down a bit.

Immediate input and direction changes eliminates the need for set plays, as with direction changes, close/dummy runners, better passing, defence and tackle radiuses, you can do your own unique set play, every time, whilst enjoying a great flowing game.

Include a transparent mini map so you are able to see where the payers of both teams are positioned prior to making a kick or setting your line. Can toggle on/off in game settings.

Under the match settings, add different crowd size options to more accurately reflect the significance of a match, such as no crowd, small crowd, medium crowd, large crowd and full capacity, OR have a slider with percentages from 0 to 100.

Also give different options for scoreboard formats, either at match settings, or at league/tournament level or at stadium creation level, as different leagues and regions use different scoreboards on tele, such as abbreviated upper left, abbreviated lower middle and wide/full lower middle.

Have at least one Southern Hemisphere commentary team as well, which you could either select in match settings, when creating a league or competition, or preset when creating a created stadium. Not a fan of the current commentary team, as I don’t know them and they seem very unenthused, with too few lines. They should also mention player names when in possession.

Increase the crowd noise with particular bursts for certain actions, such as scoring a try, or boos for a high tackle or refereeing decision going against the home team, etc. It currently sounds weak and unenthused. Crowd should get louder when play is in the 22 area or someone breaks the defensive line, and crowd loudness should, in general, be in line with the crowd size.

We also need more player audio, like guys shouting various things at set piece and in the ruck. I heard a new audio in the lineout, with guys shouting “what are you doing” and in the scrums where they awkwardly count to 6 like a group of pre-schoolers. Although it was funny, doesn’t sound polished. Already discussed refereeing communication and audio, as well as commentary.

We need a lot more cut scenes, from the pre-match, to them running out the tunnel to sing the national anthems, to the parts in between play stopping and starting, to before the set piece, to tries being scored and kicks being converted, to half time shows and post-match, and some pyrotechnics for international matches. When they run out the tunnel, they run to about mid pitch before running out to the side. We should see them running from within the tunnel and then off to the side as soon as they are over the touch line.

Example - When the ball is kicked out of play, the scene cuts to the next lineout way too quickly. Take a few seconds to show the players jogging up to position. Also, after scoring a try, too many players are just randomly hanging around the try line. Have 3 or 4 closest players celebrate with the try scorer, with the rest jogging back to the half way line, perhaps throwing a quick fist in the air on the way back. The defenders can mope in the background, with hands on head and hands on hips. Naturally have a much more significant build up to the game, with anthems, player lineups and commentary hype.

Give the option as to how many cutscenes you want to see with a game setting – none, some, all.

Have different cut scenes and/or build ups and music or atmosphere for international matches versus club matches, like the inclusion of pyrotechnics and different music, similar to the cricket games where test matches have a different start than ODI’s and T20’s. The current vibe is fine for club games, but severely lacking for internationals. Also have the team sheets and more commentary build up before the match.

Some rugby rules still need refining in game.

Need the introduction of penalties (infringements like offsides, high tackle, holding on, not leaving the ball, not protecting the catching player in a contestable kick, etc) and knock-ons and injuries

Need sliders and player traits for everything to promote realism along with dynamic player positioning and dynamic cameras.

Include full 23-man squads with the ability to select your starting lineup and make replacements.

Include more assets, such as more default logos, more default kit designs, stadiums and player design.

20 Likes

Grass colour/ texture needs changing imo. Right now the grass makes the game look like a mobile game

3 Likes

Mhmm we agree. This is something being worked on by the graphics team.

13 Likes

I Agree with everything he said.

But make the squad size as big as 50 please & thank you.

Edit: Thank you ViCe_ZA for taking the time to put into words what so many have been feeling, and the controls suggestions you made are so on point.

3 Likes

Agree with everything you said especially with passing I feel they can keep the button passing but should be only for set plays other wise if you just want to play basic rugby using L1 and R1 for passing as you described is the best will make game flow way better

I wouldn’t want the targeted passing removed at all. Adding in the other passes such as LB, double LB etc great, all for it. But sometimes you want to hit a specific person and the buttons are the easiest way to do that for me.

Can we have both? :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

Both options will be great, think what I can see in player position is that target passes will be used to get set plays going because the way players stand sometimes seems like depends who I pass to will set up lines I can run with set targeted player. Rugby challenge uses both when I play rc go between just normal passing or target passing

Can we please consider adding in a “Durability attributes “ meter for injuries , like in RLL4.

The lower the score the more injury prone the player could be ?

I just feel that in Rugby either with certain young players or players much older closer to the end of their careers, the players become injury prone. I think this is good to have in the game but I understand it might be too late or too much work to add this in for all individual players at this stage in the game build.

I have knowledge on a number of injury prone players but won’t name them in this post to open up debate and conflicting opinions but I think it’s good to have the freedom to be able to go in and adjust the skills attribute for certain players in the gameplay in the future.

Currently still assessing the patch with positives and negatives for playing matches and looking at Fan hub / player creator improvements, (I noticed Player Bulk has Improved for all players - Thanks ) will write feedback soon.

Just adding onto previous…some great comments above mind!

Sidestep / defensive moves

• AI opposition becomes invincible as the game let’s them complete the move, regardless if there is 2 players immediately ready to tackle. Would want to tackle during the move for more realism
  • side steps and other fend offs seem to happen slower than would in real rugby, allowing time for other defenders to catch up. In reality, eg wingers, usually do a very quick step and gone before defenders can fully react

Suggestions

• in open play, if there is an intercept opportunity it could be good to have a button prompt, or a button you can press, to attempt a catch. If you mistime it, you concede penalty and risk a yellow card
  • button for a forward to pick and go direct from ruck or maul, similar to the scrum
  • kicking has improved a lot but it is really hard to kick into touch from a box kick in centre of field, and if going to first receivers they take the ball as advancing and then don’t have time to change angle and kick to touch. This is a challenge when you want to finish the half or for full time if narrowly winning. Perhaps the analog stick can be used to determine if receiving player will receive the ball statically or on the move?

Appreciate all the efforts.

4 Likes

Along with large squad size, could there also be a slider for injury chance like rugby challenge had,
One of my favourite things is playing through as the coach managing squads and dealing with injuries/bans

Also if there was a fatigue for players so you can’t just put out the best team every week would be fun to manage

4 Likes

Been playing a few games no seems like gameplay is almost back to ea1 regarding score trying by just using guy and running side ways till you hit the gap and your gone and AI doesn’t seem to do anything again where most games are 50/0 scores

1 Like

@JNT_BA could passes going to ground be remedied as a matter of priority?

I understand we don’t want an offload fest, however it’s happening every time I attempt to draw and pass

6 Likes

I been playing on medium and hard difficulties. Just seems like it’s too challenging to win a ruck to stop the Ai. I mean the Ai is doing like 15-20 phases and I can’t win a ruck or I eventually get penalised for offside. I played as Exeter rated 69 overall and my custom team Cheetahs at a 64 overall. This could be a factor if the teams I play against are rated in the 70s overall. Just seems the ruck steal button on PS5 controller won’t respond

2 Likes

Can do steaks on the harder difficulties as it actually feel we back at playing a tackle and ruck sim again but seems better just to spam steal button than adding players to ruck as adding players does nothing and when you spam stealing button players will join the ruck and push them over.

Only way AI in this update actually score tries is of the silly drop passes otherwise I feel AI went backwards because with ea3 they atleast did crazy passes and made them somehow find openings to score

1 Like